Thursday, January 31, 2008

An Interview with a Relative of a Chinese Gang Member: Interview with Andrea P.


My next door neighbor, Andrea P., and I are sitting on my Mets blanket covered couch inside my sunny living room. We both live on Myrtle Avenue and have been neighbors for about six months. We have the radio station 106.9 on as background noise, but later turn to Californication on Showtime instead. Andrea is 24 years old and has quite a bit to say from smoking cigarettes, to spiders, to Showtime, to her interesting family heritage.

1. You are a medical student working at Albany Medical Center. Why do you smoke if you know what it does, and can actually see it everyday at work?

Well, I don’t really see the effects of smoking every day. It’s more like a few times a month. But I smoke because I am addicted, honestly. My goal is to quit when I finish med school, in another 3 years, but I’ve been cutting down on how much I smoke. Sort of weaning myself off them.

2. You said last week that you had an interesting family story. What’s the story?

On my dad’s side, I’m related to a few members of the Chinese-American gang the Hip Sing Tong. The gang was down in NYC and they had really violent and nasty wars with a few other gangs over control of Chinatown in the 1900s. Pretty interesting, huh? People always are amazed when I tell that story.

3. OH WOW! Is it okay that you’re telling me this? I don’t want to get hit when I’m so close to getting my degree!

[Laughs and puts her black hair into a ponytail] Hahaha, no no. I’ll only put out a hit if your parties are too rowdy! [Laughs again] I’m only teasing. My family has no record of anyone participating since the 1940’s.

4. Are you a big animal lover? Because I feel like you’ve talked to my dog more than you talk to me, which leads me to assume that you have a pet of your own.

[Laughs loudly] I LOVE animals. Dogs are my favorite, but I love all animals. The dog my family had when I was in high school, Shi (pronounced shy), is still alive. They live in NYC though, so I never get to see her.

5. So you even love spiders and creepy-crawly bugs?

[Shrinks up her face in disgust] Well, no. You got me there. I’m not afraid of them, though, like most girlie-girls. My roommates are terrible; they are such wussies. They once killed a huge spider with a Swiffer and then left it underneath the Swiffer bottom for me to clean up when I got home because they were too scared to touch it. [Rolls her eyes after the story is over]

6. Do you have any talents or unique skills?

I’m a good cook. I love to try new foods, but my favorite food is desserts! [Smiles wide and giggles.]

7. If I was visiting you here in Albany where would you take me? What would you make sure I saw?

I’d take you to Lark Street and South Pearl at nighttime for fun, and then maybe to the Park if the weather was nice. It if was raining I’d take you to the free museum downtown, but if it was snowing, we’d stay home and order food, because the snow sucks.

8. What is your favorite time of the year?

Summer. I love to swim.

9. And what’s your favorite TV show?

Weeds and Desperate Housewives. I can’t pick one over the other.

10. Did you hear that Showtime was thinking about putting their series on NBC? Do you think it’s a good idea? Would you watch the shows?

Really? I hadn’t heard about that! I don’t think I’d enjoy them as much. I mean, how can they air Weeds on a regular network? [Laughs] I’d probably watch the first or second of those episodes, but then lose interest.


sharethis