Thursday, January 31, 2008

One Man Who Can Do It All: Revised Interview with Matt


Matt, 22, has lived in Albany just over a year with his lovely girlfriend, Ashley. They never can be separated that while I interview Matt she sits next to him on their couch; she often comments things to say. Originally from Latham, Matt stands about 5’6 with brown hair. He is the typical man who moves out from his parent’s house while going to HVCC and working for Advanced Communication Services full-time and a waiter at Ralph’s Tavern part-time. Unlike other men who can’t live alone while going to school and working that end up moving back with parents. Matt has paid his bills on-time and gained his independence living on his own, but still has time do things he enjoys such as watching movies and of course spends time with his girlfriend.


Where did you grow up or live before Albany?
Latham.

Which do you feel is better your home town or Albany?

[Before Matt answers the question, Ashley says out loud that he likes Latham
because of his friends] Latham, because of my friends live there and it’s a nice
environment.

Are you taking classes this semester?

Just work for now, I took a semester off to pay the bills on time. And that’s why I
work two jobs. I plan to go back to school in 2009 at Hudson Valley Community
College and my major is when I was taking classes there is physical education.

What do you plan to do with your degree?
Well, I plan when I go back to change my major to business franchising to open up
new franchises like Sonics and [As Matt is thinking of a restaurant, Ashley says to him
“Papa John’s” and he adds] Papa John’s.

So you have a full-time job and a part-time job?

I work at ACS, Advanced Communication Services, answering the phone for
people with child support as my full-time job. At Ralph’s restaurant, I am a waiter part
time.

Ralph’s is a nice restaurant, how long have you worked there?

Seven years. It started as a high school job for money, but I decided I liked it
and became comfortable working here. [Looks at his girlfriend and smiles] Ashley
comes in here and brings her friends, so it’s not all bad.

One person on Dinesite.com reviewed the restaurant that the waitstaff were
above average, as part of the staff does that put more pressure on you to
maintain that level of performance?

I don’t believe so, since I work “above average.” [Ashley rolls her eyes at Matt as
he answers this question]

Ralph’s was built in the 1940’s during World War II, do you think it can last
another 50 or more years?

Yes. Because it is busy every night. Sometimes customers can’t even find a
seat to sit down to dinner. There will be lines or people will sit at the bar to get a
table to eat dinner, but they wait because they love the food. And they always come
back.

Do you have any hobbies or interests outside work and school?

I do like football when I play with my friends in good weather on Sundays
[Ashley adds that he hasn’t played football with his friends for weeks and Matt
replies that he and his friends stop playing in November until the weather gets
warmer] And I like all types of movies.

How do you manage all your time?
I concentrate on the first or most important thing in my day. Most of the time
it’s work. And then when I have free time, I hang out with my friends and my girlfriend.

sharethis