Thursday, January 31, 2008

Reformed Runaway: An Interview with Tirzah S.


Tirzah S. is a 32 year-old Carlisle, PA native, who works at J.Jill in Crossgates Mall. She’s 5’7, blonde hair, green eyes, and has a friendly and bubbly personality. Tirzah speaks very quickly, says “Yay!” a lot, and is extremely excitable and animated. She just got married on January 26th to her fiancé of almost a year, Pablo. They share a cozy apartment on Pinewood Avenue in Albany, along with an eight year-old pit bull and lab mix, Noah, and a cat, Libby. We sit on their huge green couch and talk about running away, being born cross-eyed, and Klondike bars.

Tirzah. So your name is Hebrew yes?
Yep. It’s from the First Book of Kings. It’s a city in the Bible. And it means pleasantness… ba dum bum ching!
Noah Dinkus! [she says this to her dog in a sing song way.]

Why do you call him that?
My friend Ben’s girlfriend, Jenn, is a teacher. Her kids had to introduce themselves and one of the kid’s names was Noah Dinkus. She used to say that to Noah.

Where were you born?
I was born in Carlisle, Pennsylvania.

That’s C-a-r-l-i-l-e?
No there’s an s get with the program, duh!

Ooo so sorry! And you were born on?
January 30, 1976

You’re kinda old huh, haha!
Whatever, shut up! I’m a bi-centennial baby, yay!

What was your favorite subject in school?
English. I kinda sucked at school, but I was in Advanced Placement English classes.

What kind of person were you in high school if you had to categorize yourself?
I was kind of like the free spirit. I was friends with everyone. I had friends on the soccer team, the lacrosse team, track, and they were all friends with everyone, too. I would walk down the halls to go to the bathroom and wave by every classroom to all my friends and we would all meet in the hallway.

Were you a troublemaker?
I was for my parents. I got kicked out of my house my senior year and I lived with my friend Jessica and her mom Marti. I was supposed to go to my grandparents in Florida with my parents, but I went to a New Year’s party and never came home. When my dad came home, he told my mom I was to be out of the house.

I loved living with Jessica, and my mom would visit every once in a while and give Jessica’s mom money for taking care of me. Marti had to go to work before we had to be at school, so we would get up and act like we were going to school, but then once she left go back to bed and sleep and sleep.

I also used to run away a lot. I ran away for a day once to my friend’s house down the street. My dad saw me and dragged me down the sidewalk by the ear. I was a sophomore in high school… yeah.

I wasn’t into anything bad, but more like ‘I wanna do what I wanna do.’

Tell me about being born cross-eyed.
Well… I was born cross-eyed, my right eye, when I get tired, goes lazy sometimes and crosses in. I was 13 months old when I started wearing glasses.

How long have you lived in Albany?
I’ve lived in Albany, let me think for one moment please… February it’ll be two years, no in January… it’ll be two years… ooo we’re in January. It’s been two years.

What’s your favorite thing about Albany?
Reconnecting with Pablo, my fiancé.

What’s your least favorite thing about Albany?
It’s too city like for me. I like a smaller town feel.

What’s your favorite book?
Ooo, let me think… Nicholas Sparks, and granted he writes sappy stuff but I’m a sap, The Wedding. The husband was so heartfelt it made me bawl. I love it so.

What do you think of Britney Spears?
I just think she’s lost. She’s been in the spotlight her whole life. She’s one of those has-beens. Her parents wanted her fame, she’s a product of her parent’s fantasy. She’s sad.

If you had a million dollars?
I would buy you a house a real big mother fuckin’ house… it’s the Barenaked Ladies!

Ok, for serious though.
I would buy my parent’s house and I would get them out of debt. Donate a ton to a no-kill shelter.

What would you do for a Klondike bar?
[laughs, sings jingle] Yum yum yum yum yum! I would make monkey noises while doing jumping jacks! Or maybe squirrelly noises, that would be easier for me. I would do the running man but I don’t do that very well.

sharethis