Monday, April 14, 2008

The BanAlbany Projects: An Albany Afternoon in the Life of Anna Swann




I was asked to envision myself as a character from one of my favorite movies—and then consider that character’s character and knowing them/me, talk about where I might go in the city of Albany to have fun or relax.


Anna Swann is one of my favorite movie characters, played by Gretchen Mol, Anna is the leading lady in the movie co-staring Jude Law, Music From Another Room. A stubborn, sometimes thick-headed and always closet romantic; she and I are eerily similar. Embodying her for the day would lead me to only one place…


I would spend my day in Albany’s Washington Park.


The setting reminds me of my home town and the times I spent with my older sister Nina, reading in the local park. Nina is blind, but even despite her ability to visually take in the beauty in nature and these types of settings she has taught me so much about one’s ability to see with closed eyes. The smells and sounds of this park are enough to bring me back to those summer days with my family. It is spring time, barely, but the sun makes its best effort to spread its rays across my pale skin and warm me. The flowers are just beginning to bud, a few over zealous ones have even opened into full bloom; I’m reminded of Nina’s ability to hear bees’ flying from flower to flower, and her fear of the tiny stinging bug that is instantly evoked with even the slightest notion of a buzz.

I find myself a place near the water, and spread out a small blanket I’ve packed with me. It’s a gorgeous spot and though I will sit here and read as though it is a chore, secretly, I will love every minute of my time here. My friends and family say that’s my biggest flaw; my inability to sit back and let fate happen. I like everything to seemingly have a purpose and rationality to it; secretly I love moments like this though.

I find myself watching the mother’s pushing their strollers along the paths nearby me. I am forced to remember the most embarrassing story of my life, the day I was born. Of course I don’t actually remember that day, but the story’s been retold so many times that it makes no difference. The story of how Danny, at the age of five, helped deliver me, and ultimately saved my life has been a family favorite for, well, twenty-five years.

Last summer, Jesus taught Nina how to ride a bike. Can you imagine; a blind girl riding a bike? She would love to ride along these paths; she’s never needed to see in order to enjoy what the world has to offer. Thinking about that now, I’ve realized just how big of a character she’s been in my life; she really is the supporting actress in my life.

This park is pleasantly perfect. It isn’t too crowded as I had thought it might be, and I find it amazing that while only a few feet behind me is busy Madison Ave., here where I sit, I feel a thousand miles removed from the city.

sharethis