Monday, February 11, 2008

The Stakeout

There is some kid on a skateboard with a green jacket. Don’t exactly understand why people ride skateboards to go where they’re going. Unless they’re going down hill. Last year there were kids in my dorm who would use long-boards, the mutant offspring of the skateboard and the surfboard, to travel to classes. Often times they would trip on the cracks on the poorly paved sidewalks, and I always got a good kick out of that. I don’t see much of them anymore, but I know one of the kids, Kyle, still uses his long-board from time to time.

One time I tried skateboarding. One time.

The kid dregged on slowly, and I watched him leave because not too much was happening while I was taking observational notes in front of Sage College. I had come across the school while following my self-induced convention; Walk in a straight line from my house for thirty minutes. Wherever I am when thirty minutes passes, I would know because I set my alarm, I would stop and record the events occurring for an hour.

I was so excited to cross Sage on my adventure that I stopped walking and waited for the alarm to go off before recording. If I had continued, I’d have happen upon a bus stop.

I should’ve kept walking. It was cold outside, and very cloudy. I think I was the only person outside, even though my roommate, Gaby, was sitting behind the Sage College brick sign listening to video game melodies, eating chips he had picked up from the nearby Mobile. I told him he didn’t have to hide behind the sign, but before we left I told him that I wasn’t allowed to interact with anybody while observing. He took the project more seriously than I did; whenever I made a crack about how shitty it was outside today, or how stupid I look doing this assignment, he would ignore me and keep eating his buffalo chicken/ blue cheese Doritos.

After the kid on the skateboard was out of sight I occupied my time by describing the oncoming vehicles. I felt guilty when I recorded some of their license plates. I felt even worse when some of the drivers looked at me as I stood alone outside, speaking into a recorder. I wanted to explain to them that it was a project! And I’m here with a friend! He’s sitting behind the sign. No, really, come over here and see for yourself.

I’m not scary, honest.

After thinking of how best to describe the vehicles, I thought the best thing to do was to compare the cars to different objects, since I know nothing about cars, and write down the slogans of company vehicles. I’m still laughing at the Herm Ungerman electrical company van. I wonder if that is someone’s name. I want to know a Herm Ungerman.

Other people walked by. They didn’t say anything, but they did walk by. I saw someone walk by twice; she was the lady with the pink hair, wearing army boots and pants with one of the pant legs tucked into the boots. The first time she walked by she was smoking, and she walked past me and across the street towards her apartment. Later on, she walked by again but I hadn’t noticed her come out of her house before.
I wondered why I hadn’t seen her come out of her house before. At first I felt bad because I was supposed to be observing everything in my vicinity and I missed this crucial moment happening. Then, my mind wandered and I started to invent some sort of conspiracy as to why I hadn’t seen her leave the apartment. She was wearing the army gear… it wouldn’t be far fetched to think she was some sort of spy, using her espionage techniques to get the upper hand on me.

She wouldn’t get out of my sight this time, until she looked at me and I would avert my attention elsewhere like a good spy would. She walked to the Mobil gas station and stayed inside for the rest of the time I was in front of Sage.

sharethis